Thursday, November 6, 2008

System Requirements

I heard Arctos will only run on X. I don't have that! I have Y, and I LIKE it!!

Alternatively: I don't want to be in a shared environment! I want to build my own system, and Arctos doesn't work like that/the developers will egg my house/the license doesn't allow this.

You've heard lots of things, haven't you? They're mostly wrong. Here's the real deal.

You'll need a database. Oracle will let you re-use all of our DDL code, but we've run Arctos on other things. Oracle will run on Windows, Lunix, Solaris, and probably some other stuff.

You'll need a CFML interpreter. ColdFusion is probably required to enjoy all of Arctos' functionality, but the basics should work under several interpreters. CF will run on Linux or Windows, and has been unofficially ported to a few other things.

That is all. The developers aren't likely to talk to you unless you're running the core code under Oracle and ColdFusion in a reasonable environment, but they won't accept your money either.

There are other niceties - Apache is more stable than ColdFusion's built-in webserver, for example. You'll want a reasonable amount of RAM - as in all things, more is better. You'll want some disk space, especially if you'll host Media locally. A decent network connection is nice.

Anything else is simply not required, but do not expect blazing performance or fabulous stability in an untuned or poorly-hosted environment. Your knockoff implementation might not work like you think it should, but that won't be the fault of Arctos or it's developers.

No comments: